21 January 2008

Abandoned Urban Graveyard

Today I went to an old graveyard that is right in the middle of one of the busiest parts of Albuquerque (Lomas, between I-25 and University). I had driven by the place dozens of times before I noticed a grave stone sticking out from amongst the weeds. I decided to go check it out. I've been itching to try out my wife's new Sony Cybershot digital camera, so I took it along. Since there was no place to park nearby, I parked at the American Legion (thank you post 13), and walked about 3/4 of a mile. I hopped the low fence, and found myself standing in an overgrown cemetery nestled between a storage facility and a busy city road.

Alot of the graves are only marked by these little metal markers.

Some of the grave markers were homemade.

Most of the graves (that could be read) were from the 1930s, although one was from 2007.
Most of the people buried here were probably very poor, Catholic, and most of the markers bear Hispanic last names. The cemetery is within a mile of UNM hospital, but who knows who these people were or where they came from? I wonder if anyone remembers them?

No comments: