15 February 2008

Trucks and Fascism

The other day I was directing traffic in the parking lot of the high school I work at. There was this huge dullie, uber-triple extended cab, F-3,000,000,000 truck, with monster-truck tires leaving the parking lot. All the sudden, I heard what sounded like a very large aluminum can rolling around in a truck bed. I turned around just in time to see the truck's 4-foot long, 8-inch diameter tailpipe fall completely off in the middle of the road. The truck kept on going. I thought that was the funniest thing in the whole freaking world. But, it did remind me of the fact that I am prejudiced against drivers of ridiculously large trucks (I do not have a problem with ranchers and farmers driving trucks, just the greedy, neglegent northeast height yuppies with their enormous trucks and their Hummers and their Escalades [In New Mexico, we pronounce each syllable after the spanish fashion: Es-ca-la-de]. We all have our prejudices, you know. Sometimes we call them pet-peeves, but really they're biases. Usually, they prevent us from seeing the whole truth of the matter (except in my case of course).

I have long said that if I became the fascist dictator of Albuquerque, I would outlaw all trucks within city limits unless the driver got a special agricultural permit. As my wife, who is many times a prophetic voice in my life, keeps on telling me, I need to get over my prejudice. For one thing, I know alot of really great people who drive trucks.

The problem with fascist dictators is...well...they're fascists. They try to impose their personal beliefs (usually hate-filled) on everyone. Hitler, Franco and Mussolini all started out pushing a "moral" agenda (they used the term loosely), and ended up willingly destroying human life in order to inforce that agenda. This is obviously wrong. It would even be wrong if their morality was truly moral. It would be wrong for me to impose my anti-truck legislation, not because I am wrong about trucks, but because it is wrong to politically impose your morality on people, no matter how correct your morality may or may not (Hucka)be.

No comments: